Monday, October 18, 2010

High Waisted Trousers from Burda Style

After a little moan about low slung trousers/pants, followed by another bigger moan about Burda Style magazine, I finally have to admit that my complaints/desires have been answered.  There has been lots to interest me in the last two issues of Burda Style (September/October).  (Though November looks a little less exciting.  You can look for yourself on their Russian site.)  The October issue even had some classic, sit on the natural waist, hangs straight to the floor trousers!  
Burda Style 10/2010, pattern 104
So, it was time to quit whining and winging and get sewing!  I have plenty of ugly, cheap fabric on hand to try things out with.  There is always a silver lining with fabric shopping mistakes, unlike clothes shopping, no?

As usual, the Burda directions were over my head, below my knees, and left of field!  I tried my best to follow them with the aid of the Reader's Digest Sewing Encyclopedia.  Eventually, I had to give up on Burda's instructions altogether and just go with the RD's instructions for inserting a fly front zipper.  Unfortunately, pattern 104 is cut a little differently than the example in RD, so there was some forcing and fudging.  Annoyingly, I suspect that the inside construction around the zipper and pockets is probably very clever, I just don't understand.

Anyway, here is the end result:

From the front

From the back (In my head I know I am pear shaped, but pictures like these still startle me.  Does anyone else have this problem?)

I sewed a 44.  The fit through the waist, hips and crotch was good.  As good as I could expect.  I now have to decide if I like the wide legs on me.  I have been hiding in big oversized, smock-y tops that end at my hips with jeans for a long time now.   There is oodles of advice out there to show your waist, if you have any waist at all.  These sort of trousers are just the ticket.  I just feel a little , um, I don't know, shy to show so much curve.  A little embarrassed, almost bawdy!  

Then, there is the issue of getting them sewn up properly.  I was happy to hack my way through a "wearable" muslin, but if I get some nice wool fabric, I'd like them to be of a better standard on the inside.  I'll show you the inside.  




WARNING

THIS IS 

NOT

a oooooh, look how beautifully finished it is picture.
This is not a picture for the fastidious or the faint of heart!

TA

DA!

Any, and all advice will be gratefully received! 

That's the last grown up lady sewing for a while.  I have to switch over to Halloween costumes now.