Thursday, November 19, 2009

Back Pack Tote





I just finished the Day in the Park Back Pack tote for a friends birthday.  I am happy with it overall, but it was hard work.  I am not a bag maker, and I have to admit it was more work than I realised.  All the different stiffeners and interfacings!  That said, it wasn't confusing or frustrating.  Just a lot of work.  


It also costs more to make than I realised.  On top of fabric there are all the different interfacings and hardware.  They really add up.  Sewing a dress suddenly looks like an easy option!

So, the details about this particular bag.  It is a tote bag that turns into a back pack.  Neat.  I bought the outer linen fabric at Ikea, and the inner lining from Doughty's online.  I bought the hardware as a kit directly from Oliver + S.  It came quickly and was inexpensive enough not to attract any customs charges.


If you are a "bag-lady" this was a good and straightforward pattern.  Me, I think I'll stick with clothes for a while until I build up another head of steam.  My husband thinks his sister might like one.  I think Xmas is a little too close for me to contemplate, but her birthday is in September...I'll have recuperated by then!