Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Back from Holiday



We just flew home yesterday after 2 weeks in Florida visiting my mom.  I am a Florida baby born and raised.  I am looking forward to doing some sewing, but I think it will take about a week to get my household over jet-lag and up and running again.  Meanwhile, I will really enjoy reading a backlog of everyone else's sewing posts!


Just a few off-topic thoughts.
  
1. Florida was pretty cold, but not under snow like the rest of the east coast.  


2. Central Florida looked awful.  Maybe it was all the dead vegatation from the recent freezes, but the place looked really "down at the heal."  All my life Florida boomed.  It certainly looks busted now.  Vast tracts of badly planned, poorly built developments now look nearly slum-like.  Is the rest of the country this bad?  All my life people have fretted over the USA declining, and all my life it has bounced back.  This last two weeks, I felt shocked and worried.  


3. I went to Hancock Fabrics, the only local sewing store not devoted to quilting.  They did not have the new Spring patterns.  They also did not have any decent basic material to buy for sewing :(
Was my local Hancock just a bit lousy, or are they declining everywhere?  I missed the chance to travel to Orlando where there is a store that sells better fabrics.  Such is life.