Monday, February 1, 2010

Burda 7594

I made myself a snuggly warm tunic last week.  I found the chunky cable knit wool on Goldhawk Road in Shepherd's Bush.  I used Burda's very easy pattern 7594.


The pattern was easy, but the knit material wasn't!  My sewing machine could barely manage all the bulk.  I would sew this pattern again, it's so quick and easy and only requires 1.25 meters of fabric (1 1/3 yards.)  But, I won't be seduced by chunky knit fabric again!


Now and then I run across pretty sweater-type knits, but I don't buy them because I cannot imagine what I would sew out of them.  I always assumed I would need some sort of matching ribbing etc., which I would never find.  Now I think this will be my go-to pattern, if I do bump across a lovely knit.  


A few things to admit here: I lengthened the pattern, I wouldn't do that again.  I think it would look better if I just sewed it as intended (I wanted something that would completely cover my bottom, if I wore leggings.)  Also, my measurements as per Burda patterns are a 40 bust and a 44 hip.  I cut a 40 on top and a 42 on bottom.  I ended up having to take the sides in by inches!  Odd.  Next time I would just cut a 38, despite the fact, that I am only a 38 in my dreams!