Monday, June 8, 2009

Not a Triumph

I finally managed to finish the Hotpatterns, Weekender Cabana T Shirt (HP 1035).  The directions were clear, the pattern was simple, but my result is lack-lustre.  

Where did I go wrong?  Well, first of all, my proportions are far from perfect, and I couldn't decide which size to go for.  Ultimately I chose a size 16, because this is the size of my hips. How silly.  This was a T-shirt, not a pair of trousers.  Anyway, my under bust measurement is a 12, so the t-shirt that I made swamps me.  As I put it together, I did keep thinking, this looks awfully large.  

My second problem was the fabric.  It was a thin, cotton jersey that I had prewashed.  It kept curling at the edges making it difficult to precisely follow the cut of the pattern.
What is the point of sewing it yourself which costs more than buying a t-shirt at Marks and Spencer, if you can't actually get the lines of the pattern?  I will try this one again in a size 12. But, I think I'll wait awhile, buy a heavier knit and not pre-wash the fabric.