Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Success!




After my disappointing T-shirt, I am chuffed that a pair of drawstring trousers has turned out well. I love the material, it is a cotton/linen blend from John Lewis with a tiny line of silver thread running through it every so often.

I know what you are thinking, drawstring trousers are easy to sew and easy to fit. But, actually, I find it really hard to find drawstring trousers that fit. I have wide hips and a narrow waist. So, I always end up with way to much fabric pouching out around my tummy. These are fantastic, they have a nice line down through the leg and a gentle curve around the hips.

I used Onion Pattern 4004 (Loose Pants with Drawstring). It was my first attempt at an Onion Pattern. I was a little unsure, since the patterns come from Denmark and are in Danish. Luckily, if you buy them at ShopOnion, you are emailed translated instructions, when you make your purchase.

As a test-run, I am very impressed. As a first try, I made the most simple version possible. While there is still some summer left, I'd like to get some more linen in a solid colour and make the version with pockets and patching around the hem. I am also eager to try out one of their skirt patterns. I have one already, that was marked "beginner" just like these trousers, so I am full of high hopes and great expectations.