Monday, December 28, 2009

Baby Quilt


I finally finished off a baby quilt for my niece's first birthday.  I picked a very busy design which didn't work so well with my fabric choices.  The prints were all about mid-sized and mid-colour valued, so there wasn't enough contrast to pick up the busy design in the centre.


Adding sashing and some large squares around the outside helped to tone it down.  The over all effect of the quilt is still pleasant, but those were the lessons that I learned.  I think my sister-in-law will still be pleased with the quilt, and I am sure I can do just a little bit better next time.

For anyone interested in the design, I got it for free from about.com.  The particular pattern was called propellers.  You do end up with some very teeny-tiny pieces which might work to best effect with solid fabrics or fabrics with very subdued prints.