Friday, December 4, 2009

How can a HotPatterns Dress be frumpy?!


I have to admit that this dress looks better on me than on the hanger. I can't take a picture of myself, and sunny days are rare in England in December, so I didn't want to wait for my husband to be available.  


I've finally lost the baby weight after daughter number two- woohoo! Now that I don't have to wear a big sack any more, I don't want to! Sadly, it also means that some of the patterns in my stash from the last two years aren't so interesting any more. 


This was Hotpatterns BoHo Delux Hippy Chick Dress (HP 1046).  The directions for this dress were diabolical.  There were no pictures, and the written instructions seemed to have errors.  Normally, I would blame myself because I am no expert, and I do make mistakes.  But in this case some of the directions were logically impossible.  In the end, I think I made things worse by attaching the waistband upside down.  I'm not sure, but that would explain a lot.  I used wool challis for the dress, and I just don't want to pull it apart and try again because the weave of the wool is quite open, and it unravels easily.  I am afraid that there won't be any fabric to sew if I rip it apart.


I'll probably were it weekdays with the kids around the house just to get some wear out of it.  I did learn one good thing from it.  Finding trims is often difficult.  In this case I used thin, cheap black ribbon because I just couldn't find anything else.  It was going to look cheap too.  Then I attached the ribbon with a smocking stitch and this took some of the sheen off the ribbon and improved the look a lot.