Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Burda 138, 6/2010

You'll have to excuse the wonky photo.  I only had my 6 year old to turn to!  


This tunic was in the present June issue of Burda Style.  The zigzag fabric was sitting in my stash, bought several months ago on Goldhawk Road for about £5.  Burda had made up the tunic in a very similar fabric, and I thought why not?   


It was a plus sized pattern, and I am not plus sized.  At least not on the top half of my body!  The pattern is super-simple, just 4 pieces, so I thought I could make it a bit smaller. Overall, I sized it down without trouble, and it was a doddle to sew up.  


On the other hand, I feel a little let down.  I was seduced by the glamazons in the photos, of course.  This pattern wasn't just sized plus, it was designed to flatter a plus sized figure.  Somehow I thought once I sewed this and put it on, I would have an ample bosom and curvy shoulders!  I am often drawn to the plus patterns in Burda Style.  This was a low cost/low effort way to determine that sizing them down might not be so clever.


In the end, I think this will make a cute bathing suit cover-up.  I have a lovely black maillot swimsuit that this would look chic with pool-side.