Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Simplicity 2587

With the front bust sewn up a bit at the bottom

Back

Not enough ease in the arms





Without the front bust sewn shut


Still not enough ease in the arms

It was finally sunny and warm-ish yesterday, so I wore my new dress.  I actually got a load of compliments from other mums at the school gates.  The dress is pretty.  I made it out of grey doby-dot voile with an Amy Butler quilting pattern for the contrast.  My little girls were thrilled, and my three year old wanted me to wear it all the time.  So far so good.  

The problem is when I want to move in the dress.  There is not enough ease in the arms.  I set the sleeves in with no trouble, and there seemed to be a normal amount of extra fabric in the arms.  I wonder if the bottom of the arm hole should be cut higher?  The dress has a * p l u n g i n g * neckline which I had sewn shut about an inch and a half.  I thought that might be the issue, so I ripped that seam out, but it didn't help much.  Then I wondered if I should have sewn a larger size.  (I sewed a twelve and added 2 extra inches of fabric to the diameter of the skirt.)  When I look at these pictures, I don't think the bodice looks too tight.  

So, alas, I am still looking for a summer sun-dress pattern.  I was really hoping this would be my TNT pattern since it had options for sleeves/no sleeves and mini-to-maxi length.  I can't think how to fix the problems.  So I will probably just move on and look for new pattern to try.