Sunday, January 24, 2010

Finished Burda Trousers



I finished the Burda Style trousers (12-2009-116).  They are not particularly flattering on me, and I didn't do a great job by any means, BUT they are good enough to wear hanging around with the kids.  I sewed a 44 and made no adjustments besides bringing in the center back seam a little so that it came in a bit more at the waist.  I also decided I couldn't be bothered to make proper bellows pockets and instead made pleated patch pockets.  It was easier to sew and will be easier to iron.  Although, I've noticed these pants don't really need ironing!  Another reason I will wear them.



On the plus side, I have more casual pants to wear on weekdays with the children, and I managed to insert a fly front zipper which was nice to try.  On the other hand, it was a lot of work to end up with some unbranded cargo pants which I could have bought very cheaply indeed.


My assessment of Burda's trouser cut for me is this: too big in the waist, not enough room in the upper front thighs.  


My assessment of sewing from Burda Style Magazine: a lot of work!  All that tracing and then all that marking!  I do wish that they included seam allowances in their patterns.