Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Finished Dress





With all the snow, the schools have been shut which cut into my sewing time drastically.  Still, my two year old kept asking me every morning, if her new dress was in her closet yet.  So that kept me focused.  The dress turned out fine, if a little on the big side (this is no problem, pre-schoolers grow quickly!)  And best of all my daughter calls it "my wonderful dress."  What more could I want? 







This is the third time I have sewed this pattern.  It's not difficult and the Oliver + S instructions are excellent.  Following the instructions leaves the inside of the dress not so attractive, though.  On other sewing blogs I see all kinds of clever ways to make the inside of things look better: linings, french seams, binding of seams, etc.  I am not experienced at any of these techniques, and trying to think it through for myself, I don't think any of them would be very sensible on this little dress.  Lining a kids' casual dress seams a bit over the top.  French seams would not work with the curves.  Binding the seams might be a little bulky.  



If I sew this again, I think the best compromise might be to simply pink the seams in the skirt and use an over-locking stitch, where the bodice joins the skirt.  If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate reading them.