Friday, June 18, 2010

Those Pesky European Patterns!


I like to use Burda magazine patterns, and I also like Onion Patterns (out of Denmark).  Neither one includes seam allowances.  I find it tricky and a pain to add them in.

My first solution
(It was tedious and not very accurate across a long seam.)

My second attempt
(This looked promising, but the marking paper often didn't mark onto the fabric at all!  If no mark is made, it's pointless.)

The Big Guns!
(Now this seemed really hopeful.  The Fabulous Dr E suggested it to me.  I bought one on line for £2.95 at The Rottary Cutter Shop.)

I attached it to my favourite rotary cutter, and sallied forth.  I made a huge hatchet job of my drawstring pants!  You are probably astute enough to see that the guide is not level with the cutting wheel.  I saw this, but decided to press on.  I was keen, and I really, really wanted this to work.  Well, obviously, it's not going to work if the guide isn't level.

Now, I am sure that this is just the ticket.  It's too late to try it out on my baggy pants, but I am very confident that it will work on my next Burda magazine project.  I'll report back.