Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Up in the Air Junior Birdman!

Burberry Prorsum Fall 2010 Ready-to-Wear
Burberry ProrsumAviator Jacket from style.com


Burberry Prorsum Cropped shearling aviator jacket
Burberry Prorsum Aviator Jacket from Net a Porter

These Burberry "bomber jackets" look pretty good.  I suspect I am not the only one who thinks so.  At about £2K a pop, I also suspect I am not the only one who will have to give them a miss!  


Sandra Betzina has made a new pattern for Vogue that is a bomber jacket made out of shearling or faux shearling.  The made up jacket photo looks awful.  It looks like black faux shearling.  Not in the slightest way lust worthy.  However, the line drawing isn't so bad maybe.  

Line Art
Vogue 1198
It's no where near as impressive as the Burberry versions, but perhaps in a brown shearling with antique brass zips and an enlarged funnel neck it would begin to hit the spot.  Although, I suppose, all the finishing details that really make the Burberry jacket would be difficult to imitate.  FabricMart sells shearling skins from Uruguay.  But I didn't see any matching sheep skins.  So you wouldn't be able match plain leather and shearling on a single jacket.  And, I think, it might be the plain leather that you need to finish off edges and bits and pieces to get things looking polished.


I also have no idea whether a home sewing machine can handle shearling.  I know that some shearlings are softer and more supple than others.  The best are supposed to come from Spain and Argentina.  Uruguay is just next door to Argentina, so FabricMart may have some decent stuff.  Even if you get the proper-good-stuff, will it feed through a home sewing machine?  I kind of suspect not.


For me, this project is a non-starter, much as I wish I could.  Is there anyone else out there drawn to this who thinks they can pull it off?