Thursday, July 15, 2010

Where are the all high waisted trousers?

4Q2TD00Z.jpg
I thought for sure that the new Vogue Fall patterns would have some high waisted trousers.  But, no.  I am sure that I am not the only woman in the world in the mood for a pair of trousers worthy of Katherine Hepburn or Lauren Bacall.  Frankly, I am tired of muffin top, and sit-ups will only take a woman so far after she has bore a few children.  I'd like to bend over to pick something up while still retaining my dignity.  


Of course, high waisted trousers will have their disadvantages.  They certainly aren't going to shrink my behind.  Even still, I am ready for a change.  Low rise trousers have been ubiquitous for years now, and I am up for something different.  The new high waisted numbers do look enticing.


For instance, a little look on style.com reveals some of the following trousers:


Chloe 2010 Pre-Fall:
(This one reminds me of ads for Charlie perfume when I was a little girl. For me, the beige gives it a definite 70s vibe.)
Chloé Fall 2010 Ready-to-Wear



Celine 2010 Pre-Fall:
(I love everything about this.  A belt!  On her natural waist!  So pretty.  So white.  So completely insane for my lifestyle despite the casual styling.)
Celine Pre-Fall 2010





So, if I won't be getting a classic pattern from Vogue this year- and I feel truly cheated that I won't, what are my options?   Let's see.  


As usual, Hotpatterns has a couple of contenders.
HP 1054 Classix Nouveau Pants To Die For

HP 1053 Classix Nouveau Razor-Sharp Pants
They look pretty good.  Both sit at the natural waist, which would seem high-waisted after all the years of low-rise.  The Razor Sharp Pants are probably the closest to the Celine trousers (give Trudy credit, she is years ahead of them!).  But, I am no pants expert and it would certainly be a help to have detailed instructions on this project which I don't expect from HP, much as I do love 'em.



The next option is Burda Style's July 2010 style 127.  

These also look pretty good, but the instruction details are probably even skimpier than Hotpatterns, and they are sized for tall women (I am 5'6", not short, but not tall either.)


Is any one else out there lusting after high waisted trousers/pants for this Autumn?  Has anyone found a great pattern?  I suspect a vintage 1970s pattern would be my best bet at this point.  


I am sorely tempted to buy the HP Razor Sharp Pants, they look close to what I want, but I have told myself not to buy any more HP patterns unless it is a garment I already understand pretty well, or some one has done a tutorial about it on the web.  On the other hand, the HP 20% off sale runs till the end of the month.  Decisions, decisions.