Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fabric Shopping

With my girls at grandma's house for two days, I took the opportunity to do some fabric shopping.  First I trucked down to Fabrics Galore in Battersea/Clapham.  It was clean, bright, and the staff were kind, helpful and easy to communicate with.  But still not worth the effort for me.  While it was more pleasant to shop there than Goldhawk Road, it was also a more expensive place to shop and a more arduous journey.  

Finally, I went home via Oxford Street.  I stopped at John Lewis.  Is it just me, or is their haberdashery and sewing area shrinking by the minute?  I actually came home and had purchased nothing!  Whoa.

Undaunted, on day two I headed straight for Goldhawk Road.  There is a short stretch with about 10 fabric shops on it.  The shops are crowded and a bit tatty, but there is always something there.  This time, I found that Classic Textiles had all the best stuff.  I ended up buying a lot of silk.
Silk Chiffon, left was £3/m and right was £6/m
Why did I only by 1.5 meters of each of these?  Silly, silly, silly.  I didn't realise that you need at least two meters to make a long sleeved blouse.  Live and learn.

Silk border print £8m
At least I bought two meters of this border print.  But of course, I bought two meters because I wanted to make a dress.  I probably should have bought an extra half meter of this as well.  Sigh.
Silk Jersey £8/m
This silk jersey is admittedly a bit of a "novelty," and novelty fabrics are best left to children and home decor projects. But, I love bees, and I thought it might make a nice wrap dress come Spring.

I didn't even bother to look around Joel and Sons.  That can only get me into trouble.  Maybe if I get red hot at making coats after Gertie's sew along, I can justify a trip there :)

With school starting up again at the end of next week, I may actually be able to begin some sewing projects and maybe finish up my UFO Burda jacket.  I hope all your sewing is going well!