Thursday, March 4, 2010

Another Off-Topic Post

The Problem


A pair of Frye Campus Boots.  Too tight in the calf and pinching across the instep.  The most expensive footwear I have ever bought.  Oh dear.


The Solution

Two wooden spoons, my thick wool walking socks and a can of Movi from the cobbler's.  What's Movi?  A can of foam that dilates and softens leather.

OK, so here is the story.  I bought some lovely boots on holiday in Florida.  I was in between sizes and not sure which size to buy.  On the basis that leather stretches, I bought the smaller size.  The boots seemed good in warm Florida.  I got home to England, where it is cold and the leather is harder, and wanted to wear slightly thicker socks and suddenly they were definitely too small.  

I am cheap and don't splash out on shoes, so I was appalled to think of the money wasted.  Also, I noticed that my feet felt a lot better in these boots.  Funny how hard structured shoes are better in the long run than soft comfy shoes like trainers or fitflops.  Anyway, I was determined to solve my boot problems.  

I sprayed the boots inside and out with the Movi Leather Stretcher then crammed my feet into the boots with my wool walking socks and shoved to wooden spoon handles down the calves for good measure.  (You can just imagine what the two guys who came  to measure us up for new windows thought! LOL)  After, warming the leather up with a blow-dryer, I hung out on the computer flexing my feet and calves and having a good time looking on sewing blogs and fabric sites.  

The boots now feel good, and I have room to tuck my jeans in if I want to!  (My youngest daughter, about to turn six, begs me to do this, so that I will look like the other mummies.  I knew I would embarrass her someday, I just never thought it would be while she was still five!)

If you end up with some too tight shoes that you cannot seem to break-in, I would suggest getting some leather stretcher from the cobbler before giving up.