Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thought on Liberty at Target

Both Film in the Fridge and Adonising for Dinner have blogged about Liberty prints coming to Target.  This boggles my mind.  It seems that Target will be selling home-wares and clothing, not fabric by the bolt.  All the same, I find it strange.  Liberty's is expensive and rather "high-end."  Target is everyone's favourite "discount retailer."  (Me included!)


Exhibit A, Liberty's:



Exhibit B, Target:
SuperTarget - Exterior


When I was working, I was always on the operational and cost-containment side of things.  So, I am not a marketing whiz, but it strikes me as odd that Liberty's would tie up with a much less exclusive store.  I suppose American tourists don't account for much of their bottom line, and English people don't have access to Target stores, so it all works out all right.  I just hope this doesn't mean that Liberty's is in trouble.  Dickens & Jones disappeared not long ago.


Having seen the new Target commercial, I wish I could buy some of that stuff!  I could just go to Liberty's and buy a mug there I suppose.  


Claire Aude Liberty Print Mug,  Merci Liberty Limited Edition




Here is one for £15 (about $23).
Tatum Liberty Fabric Cushion,  Liberty






Or, perhaps a cushion for £69 (about $104).




Obviously, I am jealous.  Very jealous.


A few final thoughts.  The commercial made me think of the New Alice in Wonderland Movie (I have not seen it,  just the promotional materials.)  Are we in for a Spring and Summer of Southern English Quirkiness?  Does having all this stuff cheaply available at Target take the wind out of a home-sewist's sails?  Suddenly sewing with Liberty cotton Lawn at 19£/meter (about $27/yard) doesn't seem so special.  It seems like you are paying more and working hard to look like...well, Target!