Friday, March 26, 2010

May Ball

My Husband and Daughters' Choice:
V2880
V2880
I see this as a very young, romantic dress.  So I was pleased that my husband would choose it for me.  Maybe I have not aged in his eyes!  How sweet.  On the other hand, I might look like mutton dressed as lamb to everyone else in the room.  And, more importantly, the write-ups on Pattern Review were dire.  40 hours to sew, no way to alter or muslin it.  Probably not a good idea for some one at my skill level.

The One I am Leaning Towards:
V8556
V8556
This looks like an all round sensible choice.  Easy to wear.  Not too casual, not too dressy.  Described as averagely difficult to sew by Vogue, which is enough challenge for me.

The Temptation:
V1030
V1030
This one is sophisticated and pretty.  I have seen a stunning version made by Catherine at B-School Studio.  Very inspiring.  I just worry about my ability to cope with chiffon and wonder if it is a little too dressy.  My husband and the other men will be wearing dinner jackets (tuxedos), but this is a fund raiser for a primary school in home counties, not a swanky London event.

The Safe Choice:
B4919
B4919


Everyone on Pattern Review finds this a breeze to sew and to fit.  It is also a style that suits my pear shape.  It hugs the small parts of me and hides the large parts of me under a lot of volume.  My only concern is that all the volume in the skirt may make it a little too showy and foofy.  I don't want to feel like a teenager at a prom.  I want to feel and look like a grown-up.


Tomorrow my husband is taking the girls to Wimpole Farm, a lovely model farm / petting zoo type place with adventure playground.  It's actually part of a National Trust stately home, but that is less than incidental for the kids.  Meanwhile, I am heading into town with a girl friend for some serious fabric shopping.  What I end up sewing will probably be driven by the fabric I find.  It's usually easier to find lots of tempting patterns than it is to find suitable fabric.