Monday, April 12, 2010

Muslins

Muslin number 1: size 12

Muslin number 2: size 8

Muslin number 3: size 8 with lining

Muslin number 4: size 8 with back midriff shortened and skirt added

I heeded everyone's very sensible advice and kept making muslins until the dress fit.  I should definitely fit a size 12, but the pattern had more than 3" of ease in the bust which was just too much.  I didn't like the gaping across my back, I wanted the bodice to fit through the under-bust area and not slump down.  

I also took some length out of the midriff back pattern pieces.  I think that because there was nothing holding up the back of the bodice it tended to slide down and this caused it to bunch up in the small of my back.  I can now see why making muslins is so important before cutting into expensive fabric.

The actual dress is finished.  If my husband is home during daylight hours at all this week, I will ask him to take a picture of me so I can show you all.