Thursday, April 22, 2010

Surrounded by UFOs

Dress for my Youngest Sister's Wedding in July

Jacket Pieces for Burda's Sewing Lesson in March


I've always been a "completer-finisher".  I am slow to get going, but I tend to see things through.  I don't like loose ends, and it bothers me to leave things unfinished.  


Lately, I've changed!  I have a silk dress almost finished for my littlest sister's wedding in July, but somehow I just don't want to slip stitch the lining down or insert the zipper.  With plenty of time to go, it sits in my closet.  


I've never sewn a proper jacket before so I thought a Burda "sewing lesson" might be a good idea.  Then I actually saw denim lacquered to look like snake skin, just like the fabric in Burda Style, on Gold Hawk Road and decided, why not?  I've finally cut the whole thing out.  (What a pain it is not to have seam allowances included!)  And now, I realise that I don't have enough lining material, or small shoulder pads, etc.  Suddenly, it all looks like too much hard work.  I am not sure I am a snake skin kind of girl, etc.  So, I am just scooping all this into a used plastic grocery bag and sticking it into the corner.  I might have more enthusiasm for a grey denim jacket in October.  Having it all cut out might even jump start me when the time comes.  Can't you just hear all the self-justifying!


What I'd really like to do is sew more simple tops.  So that's what I am going to do.  I might even have a completed knit top to show you this week.