Thursday, April 1, 2010

On Muslins

File:Muslin-Dresses-Gillray.jpeg
Just to put everyone's mind to rest, I will be making a muslin.  I already have the fabric set aside to do so.  One good thing about reading all your blogs is that I have learned a lot.  I had never heard of muslins before.  The very idea of doing a mock-up first is quite staggering for me.  I never saw my own mother ever do one, I also never saw her iron as she sewed (whoa!)  


Even after being introduced to the concept, I've still never bothered to make a muslin  because I am usually sewing with cheap cotton or cotton blend fabrics.  Making a muslin would cost as much as just giving it a go!  This dress is a whole different situation.  I am a little nervous about cutting that silk.  I picked what I hope is an easy pattern plus I will do a muslin.


Any advice on how to hem this thing when the time comes?  Should I do a hand rolled hem?  I don't mind hand work, it's an excuse to sit down in front of the telly.