Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Responses to the Irish Dance Dress post

I don't usually do "answer back posts" but I got so many thoughtful responses to my last post that I thought I would do a round up here.  

Peggy noted that the dresses are often bedazzled.  Yes!  I forgot to mention that I added just over 100 Swarovski hotfix crystals to this dress.  (The dance teacher thought it could be improved with a few more, lol!  I am just not sure where to put them.)

Trena mentioned my fortitude in making the necessary changes.  Yes, yes, yes!  Fortitude that's exactly what was required the third time I detached the lining in order to make further changes.  

Gail noted that things had been toned down in Australia.  They have here too.  The girls wear plain black skirts and simple shirts with their hair pulled back, no make up allowed until they are at the intermediate level.  Our dance teacher is very sensible and supportive of this.  We only had to buy a class, black polo shirt and a short full black skirt from Primark (really cheap shop here in the UK.)  Trouble is, once you get to Intermeidate the dresses start coming on strong.  My daughter has been dancing for over 6 months against girls in full finery.  I don't actually think it has affected the judging.  She has won trophies in her plain black ensemble against girls in their full finery.  It had more to do with her feelings about herself.  She really wanted a dress.  She had worked hard and we agreed that she had "earned it."  So, maybe it's not really the judges or the teachers pushing this, but the little girls themselves pestering doting parents who give in.  

Finally a big thanks to all of you who assured me that I am not some crazy "pagent mom."  It's good to be reminded that the dressing up is part of the drama, the fun and the ritual of performing.  And that the skill and the discipline of learning difficult to master steps is good for little ones physical and emotional development.  


This is here because every post needs some sort of visual.  I think it does illustrate the scene.  Though, I hasten to add that we are not at the highest levels here.  She does not practice for hours at a time or on injured feet.  She is 7.  She goes to swimming lessons and brownies and has decided to try violin lessons!  She does, however, do little dance steps as she skips home from school almost unconsciously.