Friday, July 22, 2011

Something for the beach: Burda 115-7/2010 and 115-7/2011

Ok, I like to think that this looks better on me than the dress maker's dummy.  I've cranked the dummy out to my proportions, but still, I am arranged differently.  The dummy has much higher hips than me.

It's my intention to wear this on the beach in Costa Rica.  I'd never wear something like this to pick my kids up from school or pop into the supermarket.  It's thin and tight and clingy, so just perfect for poolside.


The skirt is a ridiculously easy pattern from the last issue of Burda mag. I sewed a size 44 with a size 42 waist.  In retrospect, I wish I had added an inch to the girth of the skirt and taken the waist in by a further three inches.  I would definitely sew this again.  I'd love to have it in a lux wool jersey for winter in black or marled grey.  It was ridiculously easy to sew too.

The top is from last year's July Burda.  Is there ever a time to throw out old Burda mags?  I haven't found it yet!

I ran out of vilene bias tape.  I used what I had on the arm-holes and neck of my top and used bonding tape for the hem and then stitched over it once it was ironed together.  This worked pretty well, but not perfectly.  I must have stretched the thin jersey as I ironed the hem up because there is a lettuce edge effect which I wasn't going for.