Thursday, September 8, 2011

Another Project: Floating Shelves...

I've been on another CRAZE, trying to figure out what we'll be adding next to our main dining room table. A credenza? A sideboard? WHATEVER you want to call it, we haven't found it! After looking through several sites & realizing we weren't going to find something long enough & affordable - we came to a conclusion........

let's freakin' try IKEA
 
During my hunt, I had come across a shelf in this Greektown loft on Apartment Therapy. I was impressed at how brilliantly Andreas (the owner) used the Akurum shelving system - and thought, why not? I love a floating shelf....


We've made the order through a company called MODERNLV - They actually pick up your IKEA furniture for  you for about 20% of the total cost. Basically - it's cheaper than ordering it online & maybe even driving there yourself. 

 Now, I'm speaking for those of US who DO NOT have an IKEA in our state...like Nevada. So lame. Anyway, it's ordered & I'm looking forward to showing you what it looks like up.
 
As for my plan...I bought enough shelving so that it would extend about 2 feet passed the painting on each side.

Do you think that was a smart move on my behalf? Or should I have extended the shelving from wall to wall instead?? 

Have you ever installed floating shelves before in your home??




below: our place - shot this picture while standing in the kitchen.


For those of you interested - here's a cool DIY on how to install a floating IKEA shelf.




-top 2 images via apartment therapy