Thursday, September 30, 2010

Burda Cross Over Top, September 2010 Issue


Burda, September 2010, pattern 111
I am a sucker for crossover tops.  They always attract me.  They shouldn't; I have a small bust and crossover tops minimise the bust.  But, I always forget that fact every couple of years and buy one.  This top is no exception.


Let me say that this is a good pattern and went together easily.  The darts shaping the back make help define the waist and there is plenty of fabric in the front, so no one is going to "fall out" of this one.  If anyone has their eye on style 111 in the Burda September mag, I say go for it!  For another example of this top made up, have a look at mezzocouture's.
Burda, September 2010, style 111

Just a few quick caveats though, The string ties are a bit fiddly to make and a pain to wear.  If you ever wash a dish, cook a meal, or feed yourself these strings are likely to fall into the dishwater, end up in the gas ring, or swim through the soup!  If I was making this top again, I would omit the string ties and gather the sleeves with some slim elastic sewed onto the seam allowance.


Also, I sewed a 40 which is my upper body size in Burda, and it seemed a little roomy.  It was especially wide in the shoulders.  


Finally, and this is just a matter of personal taste, I think the busy print I used obscures the all the folds and gathers which are points of interest in this design.  The fabric I used was a mystery knit.  Very thin and slinky, but well behaved with no roll at the edges.  It think the top would have turned out just as well with something beefier, but thin was fine.


The view from the back gives almost an Edwardian shape to my upper figure with broad, rounded shoulders and wasp waist (not counting muffin top of course!)