Thursday, September 16, 2010

I'm Jumping off this Train!

Lady Grey Coat, size 10
I made a quick and dirty muslin of the Lady Grey Coat in a size 10.  There were many fit issues that needed to be addressed, yet I couldn't work up any enthusiasm.  The style, though lovely in the abstract makes, me feel frumpy.  I am going to consider the effort I have made so far a sunk cost and move on.  I have always had wide hips.  Fifteen years ago, I would have felt that the peplum hid them. Now, I feel the peplum accentuates them. 

I should hasten to point out that the Colette Pattern was very good.  A true premium product with excellent instructions and attention to detail.  If there is ever a style that I think would suit me, I would not hesitate to buy it.  


Just to show that there are some women out there who look great in this coat, here are some stunning examples.  How cute does Tasia look in hers?  Heather looks smokin' hot in hers, too.  Seeing these two women's versions was part of what made me want to join the sew along and make this coat. 


Meanwhile, thank you, thank you, thank you everyone who urged me to appreciate Muslins last April.  Making this muslin saved me a lot of disappointment, and even helped me to use up some ugly fabric and last bits of thread on bobbins.


Finally, Pam at Off the Cuff is about to start a series of blogs about tailoring while she sews herself a McCalls jacket.  If you've found my obscure blog, you're almost sure to have already found Pam's, but I mention this just in case.  Pam really knows her stuff and her tutorials have been a big help to me as a beginner.  She has an August 30th post sharing a hassle free way to home shrink your wool as well.