Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Another Hotpatterns' Rivieria Cardigan Jacket

Hotpattern Riviera Cardigan Jacket

This is the second time I've made this jacket.  I've made it both times out of double knit.  I did a better job this time with the collar and lapel, but I still had booboos along the way.   I got so confused, I attached the collar three times - there are only two ways to do it!  I actually unpicked the whole thing once, when I had done it correctly- argh!   I also struggled with the top stitching.  I had a stretch needle, a stretch setting on the machine, and a roller foot; and I still worked hard to get it to make any seam at all and not to end up with all the fabric in the needle plate.  Forget even and perfect seams!  And there was no way to get close to the edge.  By the end of the project, I loosened the tension which helped some.

I did not stabilise the shoulder seams.  I should have.  I've read a million times in the sewing blog world to stabilise the shoulder seams on knits.  I never do it.  I always wish I had.

Enough of the complaints; I actually really like this jacket.  It looks better on me than the mannequin.  It is comfy and sunny.  Perfect.

The rolled hem foot was brilliant, easy to use and a great edge.
I had a scrap of silk left over from my May ball dress last year.  I used my new rolled hem foot to make a little scarf which adds a nice splash of drama to the jacket.  I was about to cut the dress up to make a slinky top, but my husband dissuaded me.  He thought our daughters might want to see mommy's pretty dresses someday.