Saturday, March 19, 2011

You Could Walk Or You Could Ride in This

I STILL LIKE TO WALK a golf course. I realize I’m in the minority. Most people ride. Some of them offer to carry me and my clubs. I usually turn them down. But if they drove up in this cart, I’d probably have to hop in.

As you can tell, it’s no ordinary golf cart. In fact, the company doesn’t like to call it a cart. It’s the Garia Luxury and Leisure Vehicle, “a complete reinvention of the traditional golf cart.” Here are a few features: an extra large cabin, a comfortable, car-like driving position, an innovative golf bag holder and direction selector, a built-in refrigerator, storage options and an on-board charger.

“We set out to build the world’s best golf car,” Garia designer Anders Lynge said, “and based many of the design improvements on in-depth usability research.”

This news just in from Copenhagen: The Garia has been awarded an Honourable Mention in the red dot design award. Dating back to 1955, the red dot design award is billed as one of the most renowned international design awards in the world.

How much does it cost? The base price starts at $17,499.

The Garia will be on display from July 5 to August 1 at the red dot design museum in Essen, Germany.

−The Armchair Golfer

(Image: Courtesy of Garia)