Monday, March 21, 2011

Jacket Trims

Ribbon, Button and Lining
I was able to nip into town to buy the interfacing for my jacket.  While I was there, I  picked up this hot-pink lining at John Lewis.

I also went to VV Rouleaux for petersham ribbon.  Even with all the selection there, I didn't find anything I loved.   So, I went for this almost neutral ribbon.  It doesn't contrast much with the jacket, nor does it clash.  It will define the edge of the jacket without being graphic or making much of a statement.

My quest for buttons was fraught.  Buttons are getting harder and harder to find.  I tried the Button Queen, but there wasn't much there!  Surprising for a shop that only sells buttons.  Next, I tried John Lewis, but they didn't have enough of the buttons that I liked.  Finally I went down to Cloth House in SoHo.  Their shop at no.47 has a pretty good selection of buttons.  Again, there wasn't enough stock for my first choice buttons (or second, third, or fourth!)  At this point I was determined to come home with buttons, so I settled for these turquoise buttons.  Not at all what I had in mind, but still OK.

It will be a long time until the jacket is made and can be trimmed, so maybe I will find new options before then.  If not, I'll go with these.  I like the TV character, Emma Pilsbury, but I don't want to look like her!  I am happy for the jacket to be fun and Springy, but I don't want it to look cutesy wootsy!