Thursday, March 31, 2011

Trousers, Burda 03/2010-109A

Burdastyle, 03/2010-109A

I got the gumption up to try making another pair of trousers.  I went for view A which is the capri length.  I chose some black cotton twill with a touch of stretch from Gorgeous Fabrics.  Things went reasonably well.  I used Erica Bunker's suggested link to the the threads video of Sandra Betzina demonstrating how to insert a fly front.  It was a massive help.  Then I turned to the Readers Digest Complete Guide to Sewing in order to attach the waist band.  I can only follow Burda instructions when I already have a good idea of how to sew an item in the first place!

It looks a lot better inside than my last attempt.  I still have one raw edge exposed on the  right hand side of the zipper,  though.

I was so focussed on learning the construction of pants/trousers that I didn't pay as much attention to the fit as I should have.  I have a very average sized torso.  I fit a size 12 pretty much straight off the pattern. My lower half is a whole different situation.  This is where I wish that was "Full Bottom Adjustment" technique!  I cut a size 46 and went down to a size 44 at the waist.  Then I took the waist in a little more in the back seam.  I wish I had taken it in even more.  As you can see, the pants either gape in the back or slide down to the hollow of my back and then dip in the front exposing my belly.  Also, my hips are wide where they become the top of my thighs, but they aren't wide at my high hip.  I think I flared out to a size 46 a little too quickly from the waist.  Thinking about what to do in the future.  I wonder about sewing a size smaller in the front and a size large in the back...  Has anyone tried this?


My 7 year old daughter who took these pictures, said "Mommy your pants look nice, but they would be even better if you made the thighs smaller! LOL 

Forgetting about my particular figure woes, these pants/trousers were crucial for making sense of everything else I've been sewing that didn't match anything.  I now have a jacket, trousers and at least three shirts that all go together hurray!  Also, now that I have the pants done, I can move onto other sewing.  Like whipping up a top for Faye's Over the Top challenge.  Still, I am glad I was disciplined and didn't flit off to other projects before closing out this "mini-wardrobe."  

With the striped T-shirt and Knit Jacket I just made.

With the flow-y shirt I made a few months ago.  I'll admit that this ensemble does nothing for my pear shape- it makes me look even bigger than I am!  But, it is so cool and comfortable you can be sure I'll wear it.

Now, I am looking forward to Sherry's RTW Tailoring Sew-Along.  If the jacket turns out well, maybe I'll make some khaki pants to go with it and a few shirts for another mini-wardrobe.  I'm happy with the way I now have things in my closet that all go together.