Monday, March 28, 2011

Knit Tops II

Second try at Burda 2/2011106


Okay, so I couldn't find any patterns I liked better in 2 years of Burda mags!  I tried Burda 2/2011 106 again.  This time in size 42 with a much stretchier fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics.  I wish I had stuck with size 40.  It would have been perfect for this softer, stretchier fabric.  Sigh.  It's wearable, and I like the fabric very much.  I even have enough left over for a short sleeved top.  


The hem of shame!


As you can see, the hem at the bottom looks pucker-y.  First I tried a twin needles and ended up with channels.  Then, I tried a simple zigzag stitch.  A zigzagged finished hem to my mom's generation would scream "home-made."  These days, none of my friends would have a clue.  It would just look like another utility stitch seen on t-shirts.  Sadly, it didn't go so well.  Even with a fancy new sewing machine and lots of fiddling with the tension, it just jumped all over the place.  The stitches were uneven and sometimes not even zigzags but straight stitches!  Finally, I used the machine's stretch stitch which worked fine, but by then the fabric had been stretched an awful lot.  Maybe it will bounce back after washing?  I can always hope.




Just to show that the same stretch stitch worked fine when the fabric hadn't been previously manhandled.


Finally, in my last post several people wondered why a zip was needed for Burda 2/2011 102.  I did not use a zip.  The directions don't call for a zip, either.  You just have to use a zip, if you make the version with a lace overlay.  I am guessing, maybe not even then if the lace is nice and stretchy.